Tuesday, July 29, 2008

memories of childhood & family


I love summer. I love my family. I mean the family that I grew up with and the family that I created and the family that I've chosen. I love the time spent with those people. I am present at the very moment we are together, then, the memory fades into a feeling...
I love this sticky heat. I love the big trucks outside my house, shaking the street as they dig the dry, hot earth from under the asphalt, shaking the dust into my windows like confectioners sugar on the forbidden sweet bun. My whole house is shaking to it's very foundation, and yet I feel safe tucked inside, the shades drawn down and the fan pushing the inside air lazily around the room...
I love my life. My very simple, complicated life. My girls are draped across the pillows on the floor, sweaty legs and arms akimbo, drowsily watching yet another movie while we stay, stuck, inside our dusty, shaking, non-air-conditioned home on this 98 degree day in urban Minnesota...
I am so happy.

3 comments:

Patti said...

no air-conditioning?! the horror!!!

but i like the sentiment....

Nonna said...

Why on earth aren't you up at the cabin in this weather???

We're heading up on Friday. I hope we can see you while we're up.

Iguana Banana said...

Patti
I know, I know. It's sort of self-torture. It's kind of our fight against the machine. We live 9 months in the cold, shut up in our homes... I just want to hear the outside world. The thought of shoving an air conditioner into a window kind of bums me out.

Nonna
I am STILL teaching. Will the torture never end? Travel safely. I don't think that we're going to make it when you are up there. Kiss your kids and the boys!