Saturday, September 5, 2009

gasping


Sometime, I find that I am gasping for air.

Gasping.

Not breathing.

Nothing involuntary.

Nothing gentle.

When did breathing become such a difficult thing to do? I am working really hard to just master the involuntary action of breathing in and out, in and out.

School starts on Tuesday. Had a vicious prep week last week. Mom and Dad home from the Lake. Friends on the edge. Children gone mad!


In and out.

In and out.


My mother tells me I am gasping for air.

Yes. I am.

I forget to breathe.

I am too busy holding may breath, sucking my stomach in, trying to look like I've got my life together - like everything is rosy and happy and good.

In and out.

gasp!

in and out.

in, in, in, in, in, in,

in and out.

How can a person forget to breathe?

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh my, I know just how you feel. Keep trying to slow yourself down. Good advice from your mom, just breathe. It will get better. First week at school is tough but it does get better.

michaelg said...

I often find myself holding my breath for long periods without even realizing it. Such a basic involuntary act and we forget to do it. In out. In out. Hang in there.