Wednesday, June 20, 2007

fierce
















Noni cried when she learned to ride her bike.

She cried when I took off one training wheel.
Big, frightened tears.
Then, she pedaled the bike as hard as she could.

She cried when I took of the second training wheel.
Big, angry tears.
Then, she couldn't believe her eyes when she finally balanced all alone.

She cried when she saw that I was standing half a block away.
Big, juicy, happy tears.
She was a Bike Rider.

That was 3 weeks ago.

Three weeks, two bruised shins, one broken bike chain ago.

Now, we can't get her off of her bike.

We've had to adjust the seat twice.
We've put the bike away for "bad behavior" four times.
We've judged seven "around the block and back" races.

Someday,
I am going to cry when Noni is big enough to bike farther away than the end of the block.
Big, sad, lonely tears.

But, until then, I am going to hold my breath and watch her pedal like crazy and kiss her bruises and insist on a helmet and hold her really tight when she is tired and weepy.

No comments: