Monday, January 28, 2008

monday's inspiration


I've been inspired! The following links are the places that have inspired me today. Most of you know that I have plotted and planned and pleaded and got down on my knees and begged until I finally got a new camera (canon EOS DSLR). In my quest to take better pictures, AND find a place of peace for myself and my family... well this project just seems like the right fit right now. I hope you go exploring and find the magic, too.
Alicia and Heather are swell artists on their own - check out their own blogs, shops and Flickr sites - but together, they share something really special.
They have created the Noticing Project
Mayfly This link is Alicia's shop.
Mayfly: this site is the blog of artist Alicia Alferman
Heather Smith Jones is where you can find artist Heather Smith Jones.

What do you see when you look around your home? Work? School? Neighborhood? I mean, really look. It took me a long time to get past the pet hair, spiderwebs and dust in my house. Yea. I tried to photograph them for the sake of "art", but ... yuck. Who really wants to see someone else's laziness? So, look for a new photo every day (M-F). It's my attempt at peace and perfection. Ha!

6 comments:

. . . said...

i really enjoy this so much. thanks for sharing.

Ahnalog said...

So do I. Thanks for helping me keep a sense of wonder!

Ahnalog said...

Oh that was me, Nashville Ahna, that said the above, and now this. : ) In case anybody's confused.

David Brandvik said...

Hi Ahna -

This post struck a chord that resonates deeply within me - so much so that it has stirred me from my lurking norm. I'm not sure if we've spoken about this before but this idea of noticing, of quiet listening and giving attention to the world's smaller beauty has come to color how I approach most of what I try to do - from parenting, to writing, photography, whatever. And I know that I got this from Dad and his approach to music and teaching and for his reverence of the subtle. It seems that this is how we might come to experience Grace in the world - by creating a quiet space for it to expand. It's fun to see you explore this - I'm excited to see what you come up with. There are two quotes that I have posted above my desk that speak to this. One is from Thomas Green - "Wonder aroused only by sensational things is satiable, because they have a disgusting way of becoming usual and ordinary. When people find occasion to wonder only at the extraordinary or spectacular, it is the surest sign that wonder is already dead. The wonder that is ceaseless, that can never be exhausted, has always to do with what is usual and close at hand; for the marvel of a thing has less to do with its frequency than with its contingency." The other one is from Annie Dillard - “We are here to abet creation and to witness it, to notice each thing so each thing gets noticed, and creation need not play to an empty house.” Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

Iguana Banana said...

David
Hello to you in the shadows. I love those quotes so very much. I understand why you've posted them above your work space. As I read them, I know they are exactly you and you are living them fully.
I love you and can't wait to see you!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

what an awesome idea! I might have to try....