Thursday, January 3, 2008

puff pancakes and plaid santas











I tried. I really tried to make this Dutch Baby Oven Pancake. It's supposed to get really big - dramatic. This is not dramatic.

Ok, you bakers out there... any ideas as to what went wrong. The recipe is not a hard one... one cup of flour, 6 eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar. Put the cold batter into a hot pan with 6 Tbsp melted and bubbling butter...




I think the Littles loved it - we topped it with vanilla yogurt, almonds and a drizzle of maple syrup. I want it to work. I want it to be amazing. So far? Not so amazing...








We put butcher paper on the living room wall for the holidays and let the Littles and all of their friends have at it. This is one of my favorite doodles. The Plaid Santa.

9 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Is the coffee still hot? Because I'm coming over. Yum!

Patti said...

soooo hungry.....

flutter said...

were you supposed to whip your egg whites? did you sift your flour?

BOSSY said...

That's baking gone bad? Not in Bossy's world, friend. Mmmmm.

(Love the Butcher's Paper idea. Almost makes Bossy want to have another baby. Or drink more wine.)

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I think you need to sift your flour. And toss in 1 tsp. of baking powder for good measure.

. . . said...

the plaid santa or snowman - both great fodder for a children's book, yes?

Nonna said...

well, it doesn't look like a failure to me. But I've never had, nor seen, on of these. So, I think now I'll be on a quest to figure it out. You know how I love to putz in the kitchen!!!

Nonna said...

Ok AB, I did some googling - and I know understand that Dutch Baby Pancakes are the same as Pannekokens - that's a name I know! :)

Although I have not attempted them myself in the past, i did run across this old blog entry that was both funny and educational - complete with recipe and pictures. Maybe it will help you:

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/02/9-am-sunday-butter-and-babies.html

TheOneTrueSue said...

I'm totally putting butcher paper on the wall tomorrow. In your honor of course ;>