Wednesday, August 15, 2007

crafts and cookies



We are here! Do you know how I can tell? We are "crafting" in our bathrobes and eating Oma's home made chocolate chip cookies before breakfast. Papa's making "good coffee" in the kitchen and the dog has already been in for a swim. It's good to be here.
My family and I stay in a one bedroom cabin - the cabinette - next to my parents cabin and near the garage-mahall. It's become know as the "Red Cabin Compound." Of course, it's only a joke. Truely, it is the farthest thing from the North East and all of the "vacation compounds" that exist out there. Our Red Cabin Compound came into existence after a small resort went out of buisness. My parents bought 2 little tiny cabins side by side at the top of a hill over looking a quiet bay on a big lake. It's idyllic.
And itt is so quiet (until all 3 little girls wake up, then it's chaos central.) At night, it get's so dark. I forget how beautiful it is until we get here. The loons sing until the sun rises. The woodpeckers punctuate the evening hours. The reeds dance in the wind. Everything is cooked on the grill - except the bi-weekly pan of rice crispy bars. It's hot and windy during the day and brisk, jacket weather at night. Such a relief from all things "city."
After day 3 we have made 6 potholder/coasters, 3 giant sand castles, one fort in a tent, 5 panini grilled sandwiches (We've even gone gourmet - brie, apples and smokey ham on french peasant bread.) 1 pan of rice crispy bars. Tonight, we are begining another cabin project, but that will have to wait. Yaya is napping. Daddyman is in the hammock. Noni and Via are reading to each other in the tent/clubhouse and the dog is lying in the middle of the dirt road. Everyone is happy and sleepy. I think I need a nap, too. Now, where shall I take my nap? I've got it, the pontoon.

3 comments:

. . . said...

Ooooooohhhh, so jealous! Wish I could be there doing what y'all are doing! The girls are completely buzzing about their departure for Minnesota and can't wait to hang out with the Brandviks and Walches. And David is very excited too. I'm already plotting my week alone. It will be great, but I must admit that when I read this blog I was very tempted to go on-line to price one more airline ticket for myself! Hugs to everyone at the cabin! Cheers to summer! And all my love!

Iguana Banana said...

Johanna
We will think about you a ton and chanel all of our good thoughts to you in sunny California. We will miss you - but I must admit that I am a little jealous that you get to spend a bunch of time in your own home alone. Ahhhh. I dream of that, too.

Shandy said...

That sounds so heavenly! The cabin part and the alone part :)! Roast a marshmellow for me!